Join us for the October 11 JWN General Meeting
Winter Meeting Schedule 6:30-8:30pm via Zoom
See the October eNews or contact us for the link.
Slide Show Presentation and Q&A
In an attempt to avoid the fate of other older urban neighborhoods that have succumbed to infill redevelopment, the JWN formed a task force to explore the possibility of creating a historic district. Preserving older homes is not only important to our culture and heritage, but is environmentally sound, as an older home’s carbon debt has long since been paid. Upgrading an existing structure for energy efficiency is far less carbon intensive, and more effective, as demolishing a home and building a new house.Preservation is not about preventing density – we are already the second densest neighborhood with a huge inventory of middle housing – much of it historic like the Lincoln School Condos. Preservation is about protecting the neighborhood’s historic character and context and putting that front and center for any new development.Find Information on your own Historic Home!
In 1996 the city of Eugene Conducted a Cultural Resource Survey for Historical Homes including date built and other architectural data.
- Go to http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/historic/
- Enter the city, street, number, and direction (if it does not work, try just the street)
- The results are at the bottom, select “form.”
- The for will contain some basic information, to get the full entry, look under Scanned Document Links and select “Inventory Form”
- The PDF will download.
Update on the development, currently under consideration by the Lane Board of Commissioners, of a publicly owned multi-use facility at the Lane Events Center (LEC). Facilitation by Cogito.Lane County project leadership will provide an overview of the process timeline, research underway, existing financing, pending community engagement, and the anticipated timeline for the Board of Commissioners’ decision. For more information please visit Lane County LEC Update
- Corey Buller, Division Manager, Lane Events Center
- Lorren Blythe, Lane County Interim Director of Operations